Friday, January 17, 2014

Shit Storm 2013

The internet is a place where the truth can be bent, if not completely broken, quite easily.

Blogs, Instagram, and Facebook are excellent means of sharing only the best parts of our lives.
But I'm here to tell you that what you see on the screen is only part of the whole picture.

No one is perfect.
(With possibly the exception of Kate Middleton)
So the pictures of perfectly done make-up, and hair, gorgeous homes of moms without a single stray toy in the background and mouth watering photos of the gourmet meals they prepared on a whim are not what they seem.

What they don't show you is the fact that they're still wearing their pajamas at 2:00 in the afternoon or that they just shoved every toy behind the camera to keep it out of view; or the fact that their kid is throwing random toys into the toilet while mom's busy photographing her latest gluten-free, vegan sugar cookies.


Time for a reality check.
A shit storm is coming (Sailor man version)
*I was not able to find the orginal owner of this image/meme. If it's yours please let me know so I can credit you.
To make a long story short and much less graphic, right after Christmas we dealt with 5 straight days of nearly white, cottage-cheesy and horrendous smelling poo that no diaper, cloth or otherwise, was able to contain.
Calvin was dirtying 4-5 diapers a day with this toxic sludge. I have quite a tolerance for "gross" stuff, not much gets to me, and I was gagging at every dipe change.
Thank goodness for pants or it would have been on EVERYTHING. 
I had to run a load of wash a day, JUST for the poo leaks and I was very worried that my house would never smell right again.

I was a little concerned about Calvin's health because this was very unusual, but he was acting like his normal happy self and wasn't running a fever so I decided not to run him to the doctor and just watch him.
In my research I found that this was something that can happen to kids when they are teething. And wouldn't you know it, he popped through his first molar a few days later.
Teething is such a bitch.

Now, there are times when white poo can be a sign that something is seriously wrong, if you are even questioning whether your kid is ok or not I strongly urge you to call your pediatrician.

To top things off, smack in the middle of our Shit Storm, I came down with a killer cold and was sent off to bed for a couple of days. So my poor (and amazingly wonderful) husband was left to combat the crap by himself. He did an awesome job of taking care of both of us.

I didn't write this post as a way to complain about a (excuse the pun) crappy time in our lives, but to show that no one's life is perfect, that we all have those moments (or days or weeks) that we wish were easier.
And to give people a glimpse into real life with a toddler.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:
Kids are gross, but we love them anyway.

No comments :

Post a Comment